Sunday, May 7, 2017

Prenuptial Agreements, Yay or Nay?




In the last few weeks, we've heard a lot about celebrity divorces and prenuptial agreements, from Janet Jackson(JJ) and her Qatari husband to Mel B and her estranged film producer husband. Almost every blog and entertainment news talked about the $500m Janet Jackson would be walking away with. Some people even went as far as saying she purposely tolerated the marriage, so it can last 5 years in order for her to benefit from the prenup.
We also heard about Mel's husband not getting half of her fortunes because they also signed a prenup before getting married.

I thought about all these things in passing because really my thought process had classified all these (divorces, prenups etc) as an oyinbo thing, until I overheard some ladies discussing the JJ palava. Oh the things I heard!!!!! My jaws literally dropped!!!!! Naija ladies wanting to sign prenups before they get married???? Like Really????

This got me wondering..........

  • When did we become this calculating?
  • When did we start marrying just for stuff we will get out of the marriage, and not intending to give anything to the marriage?
  • Why will we go into a marriage expecting the marriage to fail (cos that's how I see a prenup)?
  • When did Nigerians start thinking about prenuptial agreements as a way to cash out of marriage?
  • What happened to our previous mindsets of seeing get marriage as for better for worse? ( Now, don't get me wrong here o, as much as I believe that marriage should be for better/worse, I am not an advocate of some things in marriage, i.e domestic violence.......... so if you are in an abusive marriage, please leave. However, I don't believe in jinxing your marriage before it even starts by signing a prenup)

I am a romantic to the bone (blushes and covers face), and when I love someone, I loveee so fiercely, so I honestly don't understand the concept of prenups at all. This got me thinking a lot, and I kept wondering if the world as we live in today hasn't corrupted most people's minds to see love and marriage in a certain way.... I was still in this phase when #BAAD2017 happened............... **drumrolls**  *shakes waist* *puppy eyes* *dances* *sighsagain*
All in a good way this time.

For those that don't know, #BAAD2017 was coined to celebrate the joining of two of Nigeria's most celebrated artistes; Banky W and Adesua Etomi.  Their story gave me renewed hope.......... in love, in the youths, in Nigeria, about relationships etc. 

With their story, I was renewed in spirit again, now I can keep working on myself while waiting for Love.......

Back to the main story, what's your take on prenuptial agreements? 
Do you think it's necessary or irrelevant to a marriage?
Would you sign one?
If your spouse requested for it, what would you do?

I would love to hear from you.

Peace and Love,
Lade

No comments:

Post a Comment